Sunday, January 17, 2010

Endings and beginnings

It is officially the end of the Christmas season. Last week the boys helped me wrap up the tree in this marvelous tree bag. It was the first time we used one and Paul was skeptical to say the least. I insisted and it worked like a charm, virtually no needle drop! On the same day we took down the tree Peter left for Bates. I was sad all day but by the time he hugged me goodbye the sad creep had passed. I had Alex home for another delicious week and for that I was grateful. We had lunch at Helens on Wednesday, went to The Cheesecake Factory and the movie " Up in the Air " on Thursday and on Friday night we had takeout  from Chang Ann for our last supper. It was heaven.
Yesterday Alex left with his adorable friend Spence for a skating party with Spence's family at their farmhouse in NH. I hugged him goodbye and didn't cry, until later. It hit me as we were driving to see "It's Complicated". Alex is my champion, my cheerleader and my defender. He hugs me, kisses me, celebrates me and appreciates me. So it is no wonder I felt the sting of sadness last night. 
As I look out the window the winter sky is brightening. There is a downy woodpecker at the suet feeder and the juncos are feasting on the thistle. Soon we will take the pups for a long walk in Estabrook Woods. Life is full of endings and beginnings.

No comments:

Post a Comment