Friday, April 2, 2010

A measure of time

I think about time everyday and measure it in weird ways. The frozen ice photo was taken 3 weeks ago. I remember because it was the first Saturday of Alex's spring vacation. The crocus was 2 weeks ago when I was in Chatham dealing with the roof damage to our beloved house. Our dogs are ten years old: we got them shortly after my mother died. 1978 is the year my father died. How is it possible he died thirty two years ago? How is it possible that Mum was my age when her husband died?
I thought about mortality a lot more when my husband Paul was diagnosed last May with a chronic auto immune disease called ITP. Suddenly this total curve ball came crashing through our living room window at 9pm on a Thursday night in May. The boys were home and we were all happily chatting in the living room. The phone rang and 10 minutes later we were in the car on the way to the Beth Israel Hospital emergency room. Life is like that. It can change in a nanosecond. Paul is much better now and we are grateful that he is in a 6 month remission thanks to his brilliant doctor at M.G.H. and all the amazing people working in medical science to cure these diseases.
I am not one to take anything for granted. Not my health, not my family and friends and not tomorrow. This put me in an even more grateful, mindful and present place. I try to live like my favorite quote " Today is a gift, that is why we call it the present."

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Robin, for your wonderful energy and attitude about life. It shows in everything you do. You are present and willing to try anything. Make the most of it. There is so much to do! Learn! see! try! I am glad we can share our enthusiasms for what it possible. Sky's the limit. No, no. there is no limit. But it helps to have a the support of a friend who has a wild mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the strong spring renewal energy! I loved the three photos...especially the ice one! You have a strong writer's voice that is fun to read. Thank you for your bloggin'!

    ReplyDelete