Sunday, October 3, 2010

What I will miss when I die

My writing group, a brave band of five, has started up again with my friend and writing teacher, Barbara O'Neil. We meet every Wednesday at The Concord Library from 9:30 to 11:00 am. The writing practice is based on Natalie Goldberg's book "Writing Down the Bones" More details on the practice are in my post dated February 10th, 2010.
The prompt was " What I will miss when I die" This is the unedited version of what I wrote.
The feel of a warm kiss on my cheek.
hugs from my beloved boys
the green in peter's eyes
Alex's "hello beautiful" greeting over the phone
Teddy's soft fur
the smell of the ocean
the sun on my face
and the cry of a gull
poppies swaying in the breeze,
my camera
endless meanderings on my bike early in the morning
before most of the world has awoken
I will miss all of the beauty
and none of the ugliness
I will miss words
reading them
writing them
hearing them
I will miss snuggling up by the fireplace in winter
lighting candles for dinner
making soup
I will miss my husband
collecting stones
and wampum
and shells
picking up a roll of film
at the photo store
I will miss making art
writing notes
finding the perfect card for someone
I will miss color
and sherbet sunsets
and hours on the boat
I will miss the morning light in my bedroom and warm blankets on my skin
I will miss more than I know
more than I could ever imagine
and I vow not to waste
a minute of this precious life
this life that is a gift
my gift
every minute of it
life
it is a precious gift
I will not waste it.

3 comments:

  1. I love reading this after enjoying hearing you read it aloud.
    A gem, every line. A life so rich with texture, warmth, light, color, art, words, love.
    Your appreciation shines through.
    Thanks for writing it up so I could hear it all again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom, this is an amazing post, not only the message and the clarity of how much you appreciate your life, but how your writing expresses it so well. You are amazing, I love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing sister, you are. Loved your words-they brought tears. xox Shell

    ReplyDelete